Friday, June 22, 2007

退后 Step Back

I think 周杰倫 Chou Jie Lun aka Jay Chou is one of the few Chinese singers that has actively and successfully incorporated Chinese musical elements into contemporary popular Chinese songs. From the Er Hu to traditional normadic and even religious melodies, he has frequently managed to weave complex tapestries of music, one that I feel is especially relevant to the modern Chinese pop culture. And when it comes to love songs, nothing beats one that is written in Mandarin (ok, I might be a little biased =). One of my favourites from 周董 is 退后 Step Back. I've tried to translate the lyrics in a way that best retains the "Mandarin-ness".



退后
曲:周杰倫
詞:宋健彰
Step Back
Music: Jay Chou
Lyrics: Devon Song


天空灰得像哭过
离开你以后並沒有更自由
酸酸的空氣,嗅出我们的距离
一幕锥心的结局,像呼吸般无法停息
The sky, so gray, like it just cried
Leaving you did not bring more freedom
The soured air, smells of our distance
The heart wrenching end, like breathing, unstopping


抽屉泛黄的日记
榨乾了回憶
那笑容是夏季
你我的过去被順時針的忘记
缺氧过后的爱情
粗心的眼泪是多余
In the drawer, a yellowed diary
Pressed dried, our memories
That smile, like summer
Our past, with passing time, forgotten
A love that lacked oxygen
Careless tears are unnecessary


我知道你我都没有错
只是忘了怎么退后
信誓旦旦给了承诺
却被时间扑了空
I know you and I were not at fault
It's just we forgot how to step back
Promises given, begetting sincerity
But time plowed their emptiness


我知道我们都没有错
只是放手会比较好过
最美的爱情回忆里待續
I know you and I were not at fault
It's just that letting go would be better
The most beautiful love can only continue in memories

No comments: